ETFGI reports assets invested in ETFs and ETPs listed globally increased by 36% during 2017 to reach a new high of $4.83 trillion
LONDON — January 16, 2018 — ETFGI, a leading independent research and consultancy firm on trends in the global ETF/ETP ecosystem, reported today that assets invested in ETFs and ETPs listed globally increased by 36.3% during 2017 to reach a new high of US$4.835 Tn at the end of December. (All dollar values in USD unless otherwise noted.)
- Assets invested in ETFs/ETPs listed globally increased by a record $1.287 trillion during the year, to reach a new high of $4.835 trillion.
- According to ETFGI’s December 2017 global ETF and ETP industry insights report, an annual paid-for research subscription service, assets invested in globally-listed ETFs and ETPs grew by $1.287 Tn YTD.
- Year-to-date, through end of December 2017, ETFs and ETPs listed globally saw record net inflows of $653.97 Bn.
According to ETFGI’s December 2017 Global ETF and ETP industry insights report, an annual paid-for research subscription service, assets invested in globally-listed ETFs/ETPs grew by a record US$1.287 Tn during 2017, over double the previous record of US$554.00 Bn set in 2016. The increase of 36.3%, from US$3.548 Tn at the end of 2016, also represents the greatest growth in assets since 2009 when markets recovered following the 2008 financial crisis.
This record was achieved on the eve of another milestone for the ETF industry: the 25th anniversary of the listing of the first ETF in the US, the venerable SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY US), on 22nd January 1993. At the end of 2017, SPY on its own accounted for assets of US$271.39 Bn.
During 2017 ETFs/ETPs listed globally saw record net inflows of US$653.97 Bn; 67.4% more than net inflows for 2016, and over double the average for net inflows over the previous 5 years. December 2017 also marked the 47th consecutive month of net inflows into globally-listed ETFs/ETPs, with US$53.81 Bn gathered during the month.
The majority of these flows can be attributed to the top 20 ETFs by net new assets, which collectively gathered US$228.52 Bn during 2017. The iShares Core S&P 500 ETF (IVV US) on its own accounted for net inflows of US$30.20 Bn.
Top 20 ETFs by net new assets: Global
Similarly, the top 10 ETPs by net new assets collectively gathered US$10.69 Bn year-to-date during 2017.
Top 10 ETPs by net new assets: Global
Globally-listed Equity ETFs/ETPs saw net inflows of US$52.10 Bn in December, bringing net inflows for 2017 to US$475.17 Bn. Fixed Income ETFs and ETPs experienced net inflows of US$1.91 Bn in December, growing net inflows for 2017 to US$138.36 Bn.
To conclude, investors have tended to invest in lower cost and core ETFs in 2017 with the iShares Core S&P 500 ETF (IVV US) accumulating net inflows of US$30.20 Bn and a TER of 4bp.
Please contact [email protected] if you would like to discuss the cost to subscribe to any of ETFGI’s research or consulting services.
The information contained herein is proprietary. The media is welcome to use our information and ideas, provided that the following sourcing is included: ETFGI is a leading independent research and consultancy firm on trends in the global ETF/ETP ecosystem, based in London, England. Deborah Fuhr, Managing Partner, co-founder, ETFGI website www.etfgi.com.
ETFGI is an independent research and consultancy firm launched in 2012 in London offering consulting services and paid for research subscription services. Our service is the only global offering of monthly reports covering each region of the world where ETFs, ETPs are listed, a monthly directory and monthly fact sheets along with a database covering all global products plus you receive insights from us. Visit www.etfgi.com to learn more.
ETFGI currently offers the following subscription services:
- ETFGI Basic Global ETFs and ETPs research service
- ETFGI Global Institutional Users of ETFs and ETPs Landscape report *
- ETFGI Global Active ETF ETFs and ETPs Landscape report
- ETFGI Global Smart Beta Equity ETF ETFs and ETPs Landscape report
- ETFGI Global Currency Hedged ETFs and ETPs Landscape report *
- ETFGI Global Leverage and Inverse ETFs and ETPs Landscape report *
- ETFGI Global EM and FM ETFs and ETPs Landscape report *
- ETFGI China ETFs and ETPs Landscape report *
- ETFGI Trends in ETF Adoption by fund platforms in the UK report *
- Custom reports and analysis
- Consulting services
- ETF TV – create educational videos for investors, advertising and sponsorship opportunities in partnership with Asset TV
- ETFGI Weekly Newsletter – Premium *
- ETFGI Weekly Newsletter (free subscription - register at www.etfgi.com)
- ETFs Global Markets Roundtable events 2018 *
ETFGI is supporting Jobs in ETFs, the first website for careers and recruitment in the ETF industry
Please contact us at [email protected] if you would like further information on our services.
About Deborah Fuhr
Previously Deborah Fuhr served as global head of ETF research and implementation strategy and as a managing director at BlackRock/Barclays Global Investors from 2008 – 2011. She also worked as a managing director and head of the investment strategy team at Morgan Stanley in London from 1997 – 2008, and as an associate at Greenwich Associates.
She has been working with investors, ETF, ETP providers, index providers, exchanges, MMs and APs, regulators, trade associations, custodians, law firms, accounting firms around the world since 1997.
ETFGI is honored to count as our research and consulting clients some of the leading firms in the ETF Ecosystem around the world as well as some new entrants and firms that are considering entering the ETF, ETP industry.
Past awards for Ms Fuhr include she was the recipient of the 100 Women in Finance 2017 European Industry Leadership Award, the 2014 William F. Sharpe Lifetime Achievement Award for outstanding contributions to the field of index investing and she named one of the “100 Most Influential Women in Finance” by Financial News over several years, most recently in 2016.
Deborah Fuhr is a founder and board member of Women in ETFs “WE” a not for profit organization to connect, support and inspire Women and Men in the ETF ecosystem. WE has over 3,300 members in chapters around the world.
Mobile: +44 777 5823 111
Email: [email protected]
LinkedIn: ETF Network
LinkedIn: Women In ETFs