ETFGI reports that assets invested in ETFs and ETPs listed globally broke through the US$5 trillion milestone at the end of January 2018
LONDON — February 9, 2018 — ETFGI, a leading independent research and consultancy firm on trends in the global ETF/ETP ecosystem, reported today that assets invested in ETFs and ETPs listed globally broke through the US$5 trillion milestone at the end of January 2018 (All dollar values in USD unless otherwise noted.)
- Assets invested in ETFs/ETPs listed globally broke through the US$5 trillion milestone at the end of January 2018
- Assets invested in ETFs/ETPs listed globally increased by a record 6.47%, or $313 billion, during January, to reach a new high of $5.15 trillion, beating the prior record of $4.84 trillion set in December 2017
- In January 2018, ETFs and ETPs listed globally gathered net inflows of $106 billion, beating the prior record of $68.3 billion set in February 2017
- Assets in Equity ETFs/ETPs increased by 7.49% in January, which is significantly more than the 1.73% increase in Fixed Income ETFs/ETPs
According to ETFGI’s January 2018 Global ETF and ETP industry insights report, an annual paid-for research subscription service, assets invested in ETFs/ETPs listed globally grew by a record $313 Bn in January. The increase of 6.47%, from $4.84 Tn at the end of 2017, also represents the greatest monthly growth in assets since March 2016, which saw a monthly increase of $221 Bn.
This record was achieved on the eve of another milestone for the ETF industry: the 25th anniversary of the listing of the first ETF in the US, the venerable SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY US), on 22nd January 1993. At the end of January 2018, SPY on its own accounted for assets of $307 Bn.
January 2018 also marked the 48th consecutive month of net inflows into ETFs/ETPs listed globally, with $106 Bn gathered during the month; 68.6% more than net inflows at this point last year.
The majority of these flows can be attributed to the top 20 ETFs by net new assets, which collectively gathered $62.6 Bn in January 2018. The SPDR S&P 500 ETF Trust (SPY US) on its own accounted for net inflows of $19.8 Bn.
Top 20 ETFs by net new assets: Global
Similarly, the top 10 ETPs by net new assets collectively gathered $3.55 Bn year-to-date during 2018.
Top 10 ETPs by net new assets: Global
Equity ETFs/ETPs listed globally gathered net inflows of $87.7 Bn in January and Fixed Income ETFs and ETPs gathered net inflows of $11.6 Bn. Investors have tended to invest in core, market cap and lower cost ETFs in January 2018.
Please contact [email protected] if you would like to discuss the cost to subscribe to any of ETFGI’s research or consulting services.
The information contained herein is proprietary. The media is welcome to use our information and ideas, provided that the following sourcing is included: ETFGI is a leading independent research and consultancy firm on trends in the global ETF/ETP ecosystem, based in London, England. Deborah Fuhr, Managing Partner, co-founder, ETFGI website www.etfgi.com.
ETFGI is an independent research and consultancy firm launched in 2012 by Deborah Fuhr and partners in London offering consulting services and paid for research subscription services. Our service is the only global offering of monthly reports covering each region of the world where ETFs, ETPs are listed, a monthly directory and monthly fact sheets along with a database covering all global products plus you receive insights from us. Visit www.etfgi.com to learn more.
ETFGI currently offers the following subscription services:
- ETFGI Basic Global ETFs and ETPs research service
- ETFGI Global Institutional Users of ETFs and ETPs Landscape report *
- ETFGI Global Active ETF ETFs and ETPs Landscape report
- ETFGI Global Smart Beta Equity ETF ETFs and ETPs Landscape report
- ETFGI Global Currency Hedged ETFs and ETPs Landscape report *
- ETFGI Global Leverage and Inverse ETFs and ETPs Landscape report *
- ETFGI Global EM and FM ETFs and ETPs Landscape report *
- ETFGI China ETFs and ETPs Landscape report *
- ETFGI Trends in ETF Adoption by fund platforms in the UK report *
- Custom reports and analysis
- ETF TV – create educational videos for investors, advertising and sponsorship opportunities in partnership with Asset TV
- ETFGI Weekly Newsletter – Premium *
- ETFGI Weekly Newsletter (free subscription - register at www.etfgi.com)
- ETFs Global Markets Roundtable events 2018 *
ETFGI is supporting Jobs in ETFs, the first website for careers and recruitment in the ETF industry.
Please contact us at [email protected] if you would like further information on our services.
About Deborah Fuhr
Previously Deborah Fuhr served as global head of ETF research and implementation strategy and as a managing director at BlackRock/Barclays Global Investors from 2008 – 2011. She also worked as a managing director and head of the investment strategy team at Morgan Stanley in London from 1997 – 2008, and as an associate at Greenwich Associates.
She has been working with investors, ETF, ETP providers, index providers, exchanges, MMs and APs, regulators, trade associations, custodians, law firms, accounting firms around the world since 1997.
ETFGI is honored to count as our research and consulting clients some of the leading firms in the ETF Ecosystem around the world as well as some new entrants and firms that are considering entering the ETF, ETP industry.
Past awards for Ms Fuhr include she was the recipient of the 100 Women in Finance 2017 European Industry Leadership Award, the 2014 William F. Sharpe Lifetime Achievement Award for outstanding contributions to the field of index investing and she named one of the “100 Most Influential Women in Finance” by Financial News over several years, most recently in 2016.
Deborah Fuhr is a founder and board member of Women in ETFs “WE” a not for profit organization to connect, support and inspire Women and Men in the ETF ecosystem. WE has over 3,600 members in chapters around the world.
Mobile: +44 777 5823 111
Email: deborah.fuhr[email protected]
LinkedIn: ETF Network
LinkedIn: Women In ETFs