ETFGI reports assets invested in ETFs and ETPs listed in Asia Pacific (ex-Japan) reached a new high of $186 Billion at the end of August 2018
LONDON — October 5, 2018 — ETFGI, a leading independent research and consultancy firm covering trends in the global ETF/ETP ecosystem, reported today that assets invested in ETFs and ETPs listed in Asia Pacific (ex-Japan) reached a new high of US$186 billion, following net inflows of US$2.93 billion and market moves during August. Inflows during the month were primarily driven by products providing exposure to China, according to ETFGI’s August 2018 Asia Pacific (ex-Japan) ETF and ETP industry landscape insights report, an annual paid-for research subscription service. (All dollar values in USD unless otherwise noted.)
- Total Assets in ETFs and ETPs listed in Asia Pacific (ex-Japan) reached a record $186 Bn in August.
- Net new assets gathered by ETFs/ETPs listed in Asia Pacific (ex-Japan) were $2.93 Bn in August.
- Fixed income ETFs/ETPs gathered the largest net inflows during August, while Leveraged ETFs/ETPs saw the largest net outflows.
“On August 22, 2018 the S&P 500 marked its longest bull market - 3,453 days, without a bear market - a 20% drop from the index’s 52-week high. August was a strong month for U.S. equities with economic strength and strong corporate earnings pushing the S&P 500 to reach record highs and gain 3.26% during the month and up 9.94% year to date. Most non-US markets suffered declines during August due to investors’ concerns over trade tensions, Brexit, currency crises and a fear of contagion. Developed markets ex US declined 1.44% in August while up 0.46% YTD, EM markets were down 3.51% and are down 0.81% YTD and Frontier markets were down 4.50% and are down 1.66% YTD.” according to Deborah Fuhr, managing partner and a founder of ETFGI.
At the end of August 2018, the Asia Pacific (ex-Japan) ETF/ETP industry had 1,294 ETFs/ETPs, with 1,450 listings, assets of $186 Bn, from 132 providers listed on 17 exchanges. Following net inflows of $2.93 and market moves during the month, assets invested in ETFs/ETPs listed in Asia Pacific (ex-Japan) increased by 3.78%, from $179 Bn in July 2018 to $186 Bn.
Growth in Asia Pacific (ex-Japan) ETF and ETP assets as of the end of August 2018
Fixed Income ETFs and ETPs listed in Asia Pacific (ex-Japan) gathered net inflows of $1.55 Bn in August, growing net inflows for 2018 to $6.14 Bn which is greater than the $1.33 Bn in net inflows at this point last year. Equity ETFs/ETPs listed in Asia Pacific (ex-Japan) gathered net inflows of $1.34 Bn in August, bringing net inflows for 2018 to $15.7 Bn, greater than the $2.61 Bn in net outflows at this point last year.
August marked the 9th consecutive month of net inflows into ETFs/ETPs listed in Asia Pacific (ex-Japan), the longest period of consecutive inflows since January 2013, which lasted 10 months.
Substantial inflows during August can be attributed to the top 20 ETFs/ETPs by net new assets, which collectively gathered $3.70 Bn. The CCB Cash TianYi Traded Money Mrkt Fund (511660 CH) gathered $577 Bn, the largest net inflows during August.
Top 20 ETFs/ETPs by net new assets August 2018: Asia Pacific (ex-Japan)
|CCB Cash TianYi Traded Money Mrkt Fund||511660 CH||China||4,164||195||1,684||577|
|E Fund ChiNext Price Index ETF||159915 CH||China||2,297||164||1,970||450|
|China CSI 500 ETF||510500 CH||China||4,169||89||2,244||354|
|Xtrackers MSCI USA Index UCITS ETF - 1C||XMUS SP||Singapore||2||0||466||276|
|China Merchants Caifubao Traded Money Mrkt||511850 CH||China||762||34||508||268|
|Huaan ChiNext 50 ETF Fund||159949 CH||China||1,092||76||1,316||207|
|Bosera Gold Open-End ETF||159937 CH||China||1,222||9||1,155||191|
|Xtrackers S&P 500 UCITS ETF - 1C||K6K SP||Singapore||5||0||366||159|
|iShares FTSE A50 China Index ETF||2823 HK||Hong Kong||2,825||59||(737)||149|
|Huatai-Pinebridge CSI 300 ETF||510300 CH||China||3,609||108||1,166||146|
|Fubon US T-Bill ETF Umbrella Fund 20+ Years||00696B TT||Taiwan||342||0||318||132|
|China Southern Cash Management Money Mrkt||511810 CH||China||1,674||133||484||127|
|Harvest CSI 300 Index ETF||159919 CH||China||2,571||7||245||100|
|Capital BofA ML 15+ Year US Tech & Electr Index||00723B TT||Taiwan||639||0||555||96|
|YUANTA/P-shares Taiwan Top 50 1X Bear ETF||00632R TT||Taiwan||1,905||20||(313)||90|
|KB KBSTAR KTB 3Y Futures Inverse ETF||282000 KS||South Korea||524||4||440||90|
|BetaShares Australia 200 ETF||A200 AU||Australia||131||5||118||78|
|Capital BofA Merrill Lynch 15+ Year US Banking||00724B TT||Taiwan||751||0||628||77|
|ChinaAMC China 50 ETF||510050 CH||China||5,202||223||133||67|
|Fubon China Policy Bank Bond ETF||00718B TT||Taiwan||628||0||383||67|
Investors have tended to invest in core, market cap and lower cost ETFs in August.
Please contact [email protected] if you would like to discuss the cost to subscribe to any of ETFGI’s research or consulting services.
Last chance to register for the ETFs Global Markets Roundtable organised by ETFGI and Capital Markets Strategies on October 9th in Hong Kong from 8:30am – 5pm at Ernst & Young Group Limited, 22/F CITIC Tower, 1 Tim Mei Avenue, Central, Hong Kong
Free registration is available for investment advisors, as well as buyside traders, portfolio managers and fund selectors. Standard registrationrate is available for everyone else: http://bit.ly/2MkpLfz
Speakers will include:
- Jürgen Blumberg, Head of Capital Markets EMEA, Invesco
- Ari Burstein, President, Capital Markets Strategies
- Eugenie Shen, Managing Director, Head of Asset Management Group Asia Securities Industry & Financial Markets Association (ASIFMA)
- Grace Chong, Senior Associate, Herbert Smith Freehills
- Shaokai Fan, Director - Central Bank & Public Policy Team, World Gold Council
- Deborah Fuhr, Managing Partner, ETFGI LLP
- Trevor Lee, Director, Investment Products, Securities and Futures Commission
- Matthew Mark, Director - Asset Owners Distribution, World Gold Council
- Frank Mohr, Global Head ETF Sales Trading, Commerzbank
- Andrew Naylor, Director - Central Bank & Public Policy Team, World Gold Council
- Viktor Östebo, Head of Institutional Trading, Flow Traders Asia
- Jacqueline Pang, Head of Capital Markets – APAC, State Street Global Advisors
- Eric Pollackov, Global Head of ETF Capital Markets, Invesco
- Brain Roberts, Senior Vice President, Head of Exchange Traded Products, Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited
- Antoine de Saint Vaulry, Head of ETF Trading, APAC, Citi
- Cindy Shek, Partner, King & Wood Mallesons
- Robin Tsui , Gold Specialist APAC, State Street Global Advisors
- Rebecca Sin, Head of ETF Sales Trading, Asia, Commerzbank
- Anuradha Thakur, Joint Secretary, Department of Investment and Public Asset Management, Government of India
Conference sessions will include: • Fireside Chat on ETF Policy and Regulatory Issues • Impact of Regulatory Developments on ETFs • Exchange and market maker panel • Overview of Trends Impacting the ETF Industry • How to Increase the Use of ETFs by Institutional Investors and Financial Advisors in Asia Pacific
Free registration is available for investment advisors, as well as buyside traders, portfolio managers and fund selectors. Standard registration rate is available for everyone else: http://bit.ly/2MkpLfz
ETFs Global Markets Roundtable conference is designed to provide the opportunity for institutional investors and financial advisors, as well as other market participants, to hear from regulators, leading ETF issuers, major brokers, stock exchanges, law firms and others about regulatory, liquidity, pricing, trading, and technological developments impacting the use and trading of ETFs, and the impact that ETFs have on the markets and market structure. The ETFs Global Markets Roundtable events are a series of conferences organised by ETFGI and Capital Markets Strategies.
The first event took place in June 2017 in New York City. In 2018 ETFs Global Markets Roundtable conferences were held in London on April 19 (covering EMEA), New York on May 15 (covering USA/Latin America), and Toronto on May 31 (covering Canada). The events offer an opportunity for a substantive and in-depth discussion about the liquidity, trading, technological and regulatory developments impacting ETFs in the respective jurisdictions.
To view the agendas, speakers and sponsors for our prior events in 2018 please click on the city name below:
London April 19, 2018
New York May 15, 2018
Toronto May 31, 2018
Schedule of upcoming conferences in 2019
EMEA (London) - March / April 2019
US/Latin America (New York) - May 2019
Canada (Toronto) - June 2019
APAC (Hong Kong) - October 2019
If you are interested in sponsoring or speaking at our upcoming events in 2019 or have any questions, please contact Deborah Fuhr at [email protected]
THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS & SUPPORTERS!
The information contained herein is proprietary. The media is welcome to use our information and ideas, provided that the following sourcing is included: ETFGI is a leading independent research and consultancy firm covering trends in the global ETF/ETP ecosystem, based in London, England. Deborah Fuhr, Managing Partner, co-founder, ETFGI website www.etfgi.com.
ETFGI is an independent research and consultancy firm launched in London offering consulting services and paid for research subscription services. Deborah Fuhr is the Managing Partner and a founder of ETFGI. Our services are unique in their breadth and depth of coverage in monthly reports covering each region of the world where ETFs, ETPs are listed, a monthly directory and monthly fact sheets along with a database covering all global products plus you receive insights from us. Visit www.etfgi.com to learn more.
ETFGI currently offers the following subscription services:
- New service: ETFGI Global ESG ETFs and ETPs Landscape report
- ETFGI Basic Global ETFs and ETPs research service
- ETFGI Global Institutional Users of ETFs and ETPs Landscape report
- ETFGI Global Active ETF ETFs and ETPs Landscape report
- ETFGI Global Smart Beta Equity ETF ETFs and ETPs Landscape report
- ETFGI Global Currency Hedged ETFs and ETPs Landscape report
- ETFGI Global Leverage and Inverse ETFs and ETPs Landscape report
- ETFGI Global EM and FM ETFs and ETPs Landscape report
- ETFGI China ETFs and ETPs Landscape report
- ETFGI Trends in ETF Adoption by fund platforms in the UK report
- Custom reports and analysis
- ETFGI Weekly Newsletter – Premium
- ETFGI Weekly Newsletter (free subscription - register at www.etfgi.com)
- ETFs Global Markets Roundtable events 2018
ETFGI is supporting Jobs in ETFs, the first website for careers and recruitment in the ETF industry.
Please contact us at [email protected] if you would like further information on our services.
About Deborah Fuhr
Previously Deborah Fuhr served as global head of ETF research and implementation strategy and as a managing director at BlackRock/Barclays Global Investors from 2008 – 2011. She also worked as a managing director and head of the investment strategy team at Morgan Stanley in London from 1997 – 2008, and as an associate at Greenwich Associates.
She has been working with investors, ETF, ETP providers, index providers, exchanges, MMs and APs, regulators, trade associations, custodians, law firms, accounting firms around the world since 1997.
ETFGI is honored to count as our research and consulting clients some of the leading firms in the ETF Ecosystem around the world as well as some new entrants and firms that are considering entering the ETF, ETP industry.
Past awards for Ms Fuhr include she was the recipient of the 100 Women in Finance 2017 European Industry Leadership Award, the 2014 William F. Sharpe Lifetime Achievement Award for outstanding contributions to the field of index investing and she named one of the “100 Most Influential Women in Finance” by Financial News over several years, most recently in 2016.
Deborah Fuhr is a founder and board member of Women in ETFs “WE” a not for profit organization to connect, support and inspire Women and Men in the ETF ecosystem. WE has over 4,200 members in chapters around the world. www.womeninetfs.com
Mobile: +44 777 5823 111
Email: [email protected]
LinkedIn: ETF Network
LinkedIn: Women In ETFs